Thursday, May 6, 2010

In The Beginning . . . (Hey, it was that or "Once Upon A Time")


The Blank Page is the bane of my existence.

Once I'm rolling, I can always build on what has come before. I can let where we've been point the way to where we're going. By then, dear reader, you and I have a relationship of sorts, a common history with references we can share. But first, I have a Blank Page to deal with.


The Blank Page is a full tank of gas and an open calendar. The Blank Page is the party that hasn't quite started yet, the handful of strangers with meek smiles, where small talk falters and icebreakers die unspoken. The Blank Page is "So what do you want to do?"


The Blank Page is all potential. It can be absolutely anything, and it can still be perfect. Even before the writing starts, in the moment that germ of an idea forms, that absolute potential is shattered. From that moment on, it ceases to be Anything and becomes Something. Doors start closing, possibilities vanish. Every first keystroke kills a Blank Page.


A blog is all Blank Pages, stretching out into infinity. I don't know what I'm making here. I do know that I want a place to rant, to whine, to tell stories, and yes, to show off. But I have no idea where I'm going or what I'm trying to say.


Hopefully, it will be worth reading. Hopefully, we'll find that out together.


No comments:

Post a Comment